January 6, 2013

Carved in Trees, Pt. II

Some years passed and I survived the fallout
By devoting myself to my craft and books
And I excelled at them, craving knowledge,
I won many races, my sixteenth year of life,
I pushed hard and I reveled in my success
And I was happy, fulfilled, at peace.

Amidst the pages of words and numbers,
The resounding laughter of my friends and I,
He found me, I found him, we found each other,
And thus, began the secrecy I will hide for years,
But at the time, nothing else mattered,
At the time, I was just a girl who simply loved.

I can still remember his cologne, it's his scent,
And how our friends poked fun at us,
How we would tell each other everything,
But be so shy when we held hands
I remember smiling big, when he came to walk me
To my next class, when he embraced me...

But alas, this does not end with a "Happily ever after,"
For we were torn apart by the withering of our fire
School occupied our time, the secret burdened my heart,
For how could I not tell my family the reason for my happiness?
And I cannot forget the day it ended, nor the day it started,
And though what we had was delightful, I lost a friend.