November 28, 2011

The Boy

It has been over two thousand and five hundred
Days and miles between us,
And sometimes I'll look at your pictures
And read over the words we've written one another,
And I'll remember fondly and achingly
How I fell in love with you on a whim,
The first boy I ever truly loved,
The boy with the dashing looks,
The boy with the hidden talents,
The boy who had his troubles,
And I was there for all those things.
I thought of my bold and childish ways
I made you paper cranes with hidden wishes,
Went to your locker and tied ribbons there,
Asked you to drive me to morning band practice,
Did all those silly things to impress you,
And I've smiled and cried deeply because of you.
I'll never forget you and I wonder
If you think of me sometimes too,
The boy whose name was the first in my heart,
The boy who made me dream,
The boy who had no idea how much he means,
The boy who I will always love,
The boy who was admired by all,
But who chose me.