November 14, 2011

Despair

I am friendless, and walk this world alone
I have known delight, but only in its darkest tone
I tread softly, so I don't leave an imprint on the ground,
Make no sound, so I can't ever be found,
But someone always turns around
And in the dark night I wound, making hearts painfully pound.

I often watch the sun after the rainfall
Sitting on the wall, witnessing it all
Wishing its light, would release me from my watery sight
So I don't have to fight the night, and set me right
And teach me that, to have black is to have white,
But wish as I might, it's an unattainable height.

Once a bird flew into my hand
I grasped it joyfully, but it withered to sand
I do not start crying because I have always been crying
But I feel the ache nonetheless, deeply prying
And I remember the day I died
One of the many deaths I belied
She was a victim of my touch,
And to her, I may have given too much,
I held her in my arms
In hopes of keeping her from harms,
But she asked me tearfully,
And I replied resolutely,
"What is love?"