September 8, 2011

Leash

I'm calling out to you for help,
But do you really listen?
You call it idiocy, weakness,
And strip me of my clothes
To shame me in public.
Your authoritative silence,
Has me whimpering in the corner,
And I find that every choice that I make
I have needs to seek your approval
Because without it, I feel uneasy,
Unsettled by your haunting shadow,
That particular look in your eyes, already
Punishing my imagined disobedience.
You make me walk the straight line,
And you push me along, forcing me,
And I stumble and wobble and fall over,
I can taste the asphalt in my mouth.
I'm crying into the ground,
Hoping trees will grow out of gravel,
Lifting me far away from you,
But even in my dreams,
The leash becomes taut, and yanked,
And I feel myself tugged and pulled
I'm crashing back down to earth at full speed,
And I've broken my bones and soul,
But instead of caring, you laugh,
You reprimand me, for getting too far.