December 15, 2008

Euthanasia of Love

And it breaks my heart
Seeing us like this
Eyeing each other
As we both step back
Growing further apart
… Distance is a silent killer.

But the story still continues on
Characters going through changes
Words of love faded
The last pages torn out
Is the plot to end where torture began?
Lost romance stops the moving pen

The conversations have turned to explanations
Colours twisted to black
Every sentence spoken contained sorry
Intertwined hands pried open
By the vanishing confidence
Feelings fallen to pieces

There seemed to be no solution
I don’t know where happiness went
Where the connection disappeared to
The sweet love songs
Evolved to libretto of a poignant opera
When did the transformation take place?

We didn’t want to face
The encumbering questions
And before we knew it,
It was time to let go
Sine qua non of love existed no more
The fragile rose has to wilt, one day…

We buried the pain deep within
Each day, intensifying
Trying to be ignorant
Thinking it is just delirium playing its part
The challenge of repairing the damage
Becoming more and more seemingly impossible

… It was time to pull the plug

Time to whisper the last goodbye
Keeping a part of us inside
So that when I look back
I’ll smile without a tear leaving my eyes
Reminiscence of the remains of our love

Time to walk away
Without looking back
And without difficulties

Euthanasia of love
The hardest part of it all
The end of our journey

It had to be done
Because I want to love you
…without the ache.

Writer's note: I don't like the title, but I love this poem, because I feel like I captured the true essence of a sad love story, no?