March 31, 2013

Everything's Alright

The platypus.

I'm at a loss for words of how much this story touched me. I got this video game the other day, and it is called To the Moon. The trailer had already forewarned me of its potentially heart-wrenching, melancholic contents. And I deliberated for a while, on whether to get it or not. In the end, I gave into it... Why not?

 At first I thought the trailer had lied, because sometimes video game trailers can be misleading *cough*Dead Island*cough*... Because this game started out in a very silly way and the dialogue is very, very comical and cheesy and didn't inspire much confidence. And I thought to myself, "Really? Is this really how the game is going to go?" 

Thankfully, that wasn't so.
Those humorous aspects had to be added in order for you to be able to play the game. Otherwise you'd just be constantly bawling your eyes out. I kid you not. 

Anya, the lighthouse

There are these little puzzles you solve in the game to try to unravel more of the story. While I found that repetitive and easy, I also found that I can't wait to see where that memento would take me... You want to know. You care..... The story is not as simple as you'd think. 

As you learn more and more, you, as a player start to realize that this story is alive, yet at the same time, not. The heart beats that occasionally plays in the background reminds you that this is just the dying wish of an old man, and that what he is wishing for, never actually existed... It causes you question life, to re-evaluate things. 

 The ending is beautiful. Bittersweet. 
The happy ending that never happened. 
And with a twist.  

The music is also wonderful in this game... That was an understatement. 

I find it kind of strange to be writing a somewhat review-like thinger about a video game here. But I finished the game yesterday and I couldn't get it out of my mind. This is probably the game with the best storyline that I've ever played.