May 29, 2012

Run!

Because I cannot bear to face it anymore

I cannot stand here, so still, and witness --

I'm running until I forget what I was running from

But I'm reminded by the ache that resurface when I stop,

So I'm running for dear life again.

My battered heart taints the blood that runs through my body,

And I'm in constant fear, always trying to escape

From the grasp of the lack, the loss, the life.

My faltering words trail behind me

That I am wanting to outrun, so I can't be found,

And I can't catch my breath, can't catch myself from falling,

These cuts and bruises bleed a helpless painting,

But I must keep running and running away,

Try to shed away the skins you've laid on me.

And they tear off painfully, stripping my real skin

Till I'm raw and unraveled, bare

But I'm frightened by the change.

I should not dwell, so I'm taking off again 

Running nowhere, running aimlessly, 

I'm still running.